Mopec’s Formaway Green Liquid Formalin Neutralizer quickly and effectively neutralizes spent formalin for sewer disposal. Simply add 32 ounces of Formaway Green to each gallon of 10% neutral buffered formalin waste and allow it to stand for at least 4 hours before disposing of it. Available in 1-gallon, 2.5-gallon, and 5-gallon cubes.
- BG560-1: 1-gallon cube
- BG560-2.5: 2.5-gallon cube
- BG560-5: 5-gallon cube
Instructions to safely treat and destroy 10% NBF formalin waste:
- Collect formalin waste in the Formaway collection container or equivalent container.
- Use a funnel with a “screen insert” while collecting waste to remove tissue debris from waste formalin.
- Add 32-fl oz. of Formaway Green to each gallon (128-fl oz.) of 10% NBF formalin waste. (For metric users, add 1 liter of Formaway Green to 4 liters of 10% NBF formalin waste.)
- Secure the lid on the waste collection container and agitate the container to mix solutions.
- Allow mixed solutions to stand for approximately 4 hours, adequately reducing the formalin in the waste solution to non-hazardous safe disposal into the sanitary sewer.
- Repeat step #4, decreasing any potential exposure to the headspace vapor in the collection container.
- Test the treated solution with Rapid QC Analysis and carefully pour treated waste into the sanitary sewer.
- Rinse the container with cold tap water, preparing it for re-use.
*Note: The results noted in these instructions are based on actual waste formalin treated with Formaway Green. Results may vary slightly based on the formalin’s usage as well as the wide variety of formalin solutions designated for treatment with Formaway Green. To attain the lowest formalin residual simply allow solutions to stand overnight or approximately 8-12 hours. The ratios and reaction times noted within these instructions will typically reduce these formalin waste solutions to a non-hazardous solution, with less than 00.18% formalin, and a virtually neutral pH of about 5.5 to 6.0 pH.